Meet Winona Poland of
Mod Hair Color Salon & Beauty Store
1. When did you graduate from cosmetology college and from which one did you graduate? I went to Capri College in Cedar Rapids. I graduated cosmetology in July 2013
2. Why did you decide to go into this industry? I initially got into the beauty industry because my mom has been a cosmetologist my whole life, and I wanted to join in the fun, but I wanted to be different as well. I got my license in esthetics first before I realized I was meant to do hair. I continued my education while working at my first salon job as a receptionist/esthetician.
3. What is your favorite part of being a cosmetologist? I love creating beautiful colors and seeing the smile on clients faces when they have a brand new look.
4. Why did you choose Mod Hair Color Salon & Beauty Store? I mentored at Mod first and after my first experience here I knew I wanted to work for Heather & Jody. The atmosphere is upbeat and friendly. The fact that the salon is color oriented caught my attention right away. The salon as a whole strives for furthering education & that has always been important to me.
5. What’s your favorite thing about being a team member at Mod? I love spending time with women who share my passion for the industry and want to better themselves & the salon. Everyone is so supportive of each other’s dreams and aspirations.
6. What’s your most embarrassing salon moment? I was walking from the backroom to put color bowls and brushes away, I must’ve slipped on hair on the floor, I fell flat on my rear end & bowls and brushes went flying in front of a full salon of clients.
7. What’s your favorite styling tip you like to teach your guests? I love showing clients how to properly blow dry their hair. Your style is so dependent on the initial blow dry.
8. What do you like to do most when you are not in the salon? In my spare time I enjoy spending time with my family, boyfriend, and my German Shepard Puppy. We love to go camping as a family and if I’m lucky, us girls will sneak away for some retail therapy!
9. What are the hair care products you can not live without and why? I cannot live without a moisture masque. I do masques on my hair 1-2 times a week. When I style my hair I like to use Moroccanoil Light Oil on my hair when it’s wet & dry. Then hit it with a light hold hairspray at the end.
10. What are your top two services you enjoy doing most and why? My favorite services are any color service. I enjoy doing highlight/lowlights the most because I love seeing so much dimension in colors. With the balayage & shadow root trend so popular right now, I’ve come to really love doing these specialty techniques as well.
FOLLOW Winona Poland on Instagram @winonalea