Meet Jess Schaefer of
Mod Hair Color Salon & Beauty Store
1. When did you graduate from cosmetology college and from which one did you graduate?Fall of 2005. La James International College, Cedar Falls, IA
2. Why did you go into this industry? I have always loved doing hair ever since I was a little girl. My big plan was to graduate hair school move to the coast and work on a cruise ship. While attending school I met my now husband and wouldn’t change anything.
3. What is your favorite part of being a cosmetologist? Getting to do what I have always loved to do. Meeting new people everyday at work and getting to make them look and feel beautiful.
4. Why did you choose Mod? The owners are friends of mine. When they first opened the salon, they wanted me to join their team. It only took me 4 1⁄2 years but I finally did just that and am so glad I made that decision.
5. What’s your favorite thing about being a team member at Mod? We are all open and close with each other. We help each other out everyday and everyone makes the place a fun and joyful place to be at.
6. What’s your most embarrassing salon moment? Well I don’t have any really embarrassing moments. Maybe I just don’t get embarrassed easily or I had just pushed those memories deep into the back of my mind so I can’t remember it. 🙂
7. What’s your favorite styling tip you like to teach your guests? I like to teach my guest how to achieve volume in their hair and how to properly dry their hair to get the look they want.
8. What do you like to do most when you are not in in the salon? When I am not at the salon I like to spend time with my husband and son. Going to parks or to the lake house or inviting friends over and just hanging out.
9. What are the hair care products you can not live without and why? I can not live without dry shampoo. I only wash my hair a couple times a week so dry shampoo is a life saver. Also, I can’t live without my healing oils. I do a lot to my hair such as chemical processes and heat styling. They protect my hair and keep my ends from drying out. My hair always feels healthy with them.
10. What are your top two services you enjoy doing most and why? Colors for sure. It’s an easy way to change someone’s look if they don’t want to change their haircut or just change their entire look all together. The 2nd would be haircuts. I love finishing out a hair cut. Doing the extra end work to customize the haircut to that individual person. The little extra stuff make all the difference.
FOLLOW Jess Schaefer on Instagram @jessschaef4