Meet Heather Halbfass of
Mod Hair Color Salon & Beauty Store
1.What made you choose Jody as a business partner? Jody and I met in college. Not only did we become fast friends, we also have worked side by side since the day we met. During school our stations were next to each other and when we got into the salon that continued. We have just always worked so well together. I think the fact that we are complete opposites is why we chose to partner together in business. She is the yin to my yang. We have the ability to bring out the best in each other and we both have a desire to succeed. One thing we joked about when we started the salon is that if it didn’t work out and we totally tanked at least we had each other to have a beer with. Jody has been an amazing constant in my life and that creates a lot of trust in our relationship in and out of the salon.
2. What is your favorite part of owning a salon? I would say my favorite thing is watching each of our team members wether they are a Stylist or Front Desk Professional grow personally and professionally. It is awesome to see these ladies get excited each time they accomplish a goal or perfect a skill. Another thing I like the about owning a salon is the amount of personal growth it has given me. I am constantly learning so I can better help my team in achieving success. That has in return made me a better human.
3. Why did you choose the beauty industry? I was totally a Barbie girl when I was younger. In fact, my mom first taught me how to french braid on a Barbie doll. I can’t even remember a time I didn’t enjoy playing with makeup and hair.
4. What is your favorite service to perform and why? I really enjoy doing hair color. Color can really change ones perception of themselves. Sometimes being able to find beauty within ones self can start with something as simple as a color. Helping people be able to find their inner beauty is really truly the best thing about being a cosmetologist.
5. Who is your stylist idol and why? I think I have had several idols/mentors through out my career. I would say the person I admired that I knew personally was my first boss in the salon Keith Blum. His passion for this industry and people was something I admired. He had such a way with people and he almost always remembered your name. He had a strong will to succeed and I find myself doing or saying things he used to do or say. Another person that I have admired from afar is Wayne Grund. I admire the success he has had. From being a stylist to creating an amazing hair care company. He has created a company that supports stylists in furthering their education and he still is actively involved. You can sense the feeling of family in their company. I love that!!
6. Have you ever had an embarrassing moment at Mod? What was it?
I can’t remember having a really embarrassing moment here at Mod. Maybe because nothing will top my most embarrassing moment at the first salon I worked at. I was shampooing a guest and the hose slipped out of my hand. Instead of shutting off the water I tried to grab the hose and it was just flailing all over the place. One of the senior stylists had to come over and shut the water off!! I was soaked, my guest had puddles in her eyes, and water was everywhere. The whole salon was laughing at me. To top it off, after that guest left, another stylist asked me to shampoo for her and her guest asked me, “Do I need an umbrella?” OY VEY!!
7. What has been your favorite hair color on yourself? RED for sure!!! I absolutely LOVE redheads!!
9. What has been your favorite beauty trend throughout your career? My favorite beauty trend, that’s a tough one. I honestly, don’t know that I have a favorite trend. I enjoy change when it comes to hair. The evolution of hair over the course of my 18 1/2 years in this industry has been what keeps my passion alive.
10. What do you enjoy most about your team at Mod Hair Color Salon & Beauty Store? First, I would like to say how deeply proud I am of each and every one of the women on my team. I am very blessed to work with them everyday. What I enjoy most about our team here is the fact that they truly like each other. I think it is hard to find that. We really are like a family. We don’t always agree but we do treat each other with respect. The success we have experienced here at Mod stems from that. Watching them grow into women who support one another and build each other up is amazing and my hope is that each of them sprinkle that into their lives outside of the salon. The world needs all the positivity it can get and it starts with each one of us.
FOLLOW Heather Halbfass on Instagram @hairbender21