Ten Questions With Mataya Clark
1. When did you graduate from cosmetology college and from which one did you graduate? I graduated from Capri College in May of 2017.
2. Why did you go into this industry? Back in high school I had a HUGE collection of fashion magazines and always dreamed about someday making someone look as beautiful as the cover girl! As I got older I learned how much time, effort and patience it took to create something that perfect and it really sparked my love for the beauty community!
3. What is your favorite part of being a cosmetologist? My favorite part about being a cosmetologist is the ability to inspire others to get out of their comfort zone and try something new. Whether it be a new eyeshadow technique or a completely different hair style. The simplest little detail can change someone’s entire look. Beauty can be found in so many different ways and showing someone how to recreate it at home is the icing on top of the cake.
4. Why did you choose Mod? I chose Mod because of the friendly atmosphere and amazing talent the team brings to the Cedar Valley. The owners Heather & Jody are very big on educating the stylist as well as the client. Encouraging us to take outside classes, travel to beauty shows
and bringing in professional hair care line educators to the salon. They truly set you up for success in this ever growing industry. Learning from these ladies is such a blessing and a privilege.
5. What’s your favorite thing about being a team member at Mod? My favorite thing about being a team member at Mod is the amount of support & love each stylist gives one another. It’s not just about your personal success but the salons success as a whole.
6. What’s your most embarrassing salon moment? My most embarrassing salon moment would probably have to be within the first couple of weeks that I started at Mod. We were trying to get ahead on some spring cleaning and I was asked to get the cobwebs off of the drop ceiling with the end of a broom. Me being short… (I am only 5’2″) I accidentally knocked a picture off of the wall trying to reach the tippy top of the ceiling. This happened on a very busy day in the salon and as soon as the frame hit the floor making a giant SWOOSH sound everyone and their guests turned around and glared at me. I was completely mortified and turned red, thinking I broke this expensive piece of wall art. All of the stylists bursted out laughing saying “Uh oh new girls already breaking things!” ? They soon let me know not to worry it’s just a silly picture! Phew!! ?
7. What’s your favorite styling tip you like to teach your guests? My favorite styling tip is showing my guests how to use an at home deep conditioning treatment! The #1 concern people have in the chair is how dry and dull their hair feels. Most of us lack moisture due to improper nutrition, over using hot tools or even effects of our environment. Taking home a weekly mask treatment can really change the quality of your hair. My favorite at home product is the MoroccanOil Weightless Hydrating Mask. It’s an argon oil based cream that helps restore shine and texture! Apply to wet hair and leave on for 5 minutes then rinse for amazingly manageable results! Using this product once a week will help your hair feel hydrated and healthy again! ??
8. What do you like to do most when you are not in in the salon? In my spare time I enjoy hanging out with friends & family. Spending time outside with my dog and going to the movies! I am also a huge lover of ALL kinds of music. Concerts are my favorite places to meet new people and exchange stories about life & love!
9. What is the hair care product you can not live without and why? I CANNOT live without a heat protectant. I have such a busy schedule and need something quick & easy for at home care. I love my blow dryer and my curling iron… (maybe a little too much). In order for me to protect the color and integrity of my hair I use the Kenra Platinum Blow Dry Spray. This is my favorite product because of its ability to minimize blow dry time up to 50%. It’s a light-weight oil based formula that helps detangle, control frizz and protect the hair against high heat. Not to mention it smells amazing ? Just a couple of spritz to your damp hair and you are ready to blow dry your way into a tropical paradise! ?
10. What are your top two services you enjoy doing most and why? I absolutely LOVE make-up applications. Make up has transformed my life in such a positive way. Growing up I was very shy and reserved; I somehow stumbled upon a makeup tutorial on YouTube and was immediately intrigued. There are so many different ways you can transform yourself, wether it be a dramatic lip color or a natural smokey eye! Recreating these on myself gave me the confidence to really shine and step out of my comfort zone. Cosmetology school has helped me gain the knowledge to educate my clients on how to create these same looks at home to make them feel beautiful too ??
Another great service I enjoy providing is eyebrow waxing! Recently eyebrows have become a HUGE beauty focus. From natural to bold, your eyebrows can really set your mood! Teaching my clients about different ways to style and maintain a brow look is critical. There are so many different products to help each clients specific needs!
? FOLLOW Mataya on Instagram @mermaidsbymataya